Tag Archives: cucumber

Super Raw Disease Busting Pineapple Juices

21 Apr
Pineapple makes a Super juice

Pineapple makes a Super healthy juice

One of my raw food recipe bibles is the book Super Juice by Michael Van Straten.  And since discovering the overwhelming health benefits of pineapples, which is also one of my all time favourite fruits, I had a look at their juicing ideas.  Here are the two juices I loved the most:

PEAK PERFORMER
12 grapes (black or white)
4 x unpeeled pears
2 unpeeled apples
2 slices peeled pineapple

WHY IS THIS GOOD FOR ME?
The Peak Performer is packed with potassium, pectin, vitamin C, vitamin B, calcium, cancer fighting tannins (from the grapes), and amazing bromelain and it tastes yum.

CUCUMBER SOOTHER
3 x carrots
2 sticks celery plus leaves
1 x small pineapple
6 fresh leaves sage
2/3 cucumber

WHY IS THIS JUICE GOOD FOR ME?
It is high in beta-carotene, potassium, vitamin C and folic acid, the amazing bromelain as well as the little heard of thujone, an essential and healing oil found in Sage.

One more thing – according to various sources eating raw and ripe pineapple is also meant to be an excellent natural cure for tonsilitis.

Advertisements

Mis Amigos Mexicanos Raw Food Fiesta

12 Feb

When I told my wonderful Mexican friends Cesar and Brenda, that they looked great, I have to admit I expected (hoped for) a typical British response along the lines of; ‘No- I don’t – you however look fantastic.’ I was a tad stunned therefore, when they separately replied; ‘Yes I know. I’m hot.’

mucho gusto yummo pico

mucho gusto yummo pico de gallo

Despite feeling slightly ripped off, I realised that they really are ‘hot’, but not just because they are physically gorgeous. They both have a vibrant energy and warmth about them that makes them a lot of fun to be around. Obviously not every Mexican is ‘hot’ and ‘fun’, but I do attribute some of their very positive attitude to their bodies and life to their traditional Mexican diet, which is amazingly, pretty much 70% raw fruit and vegetables. (We’ll conveniently ignore the fact the remaining 30% of a Mexican diet is made up corn chips and tequila…)

Brenda, in between Micheladas (non-raw beer, Tabasco, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce and salt), showed me how to make this absolutely, incredibly delicious Mexican raw feast.

Pico de Gallo
4 big vine tomatoes
½ cup of fresh coriander
1 red onion
1 small green chilli
Juice of one lime
1 pinch salt
1 clove garlic

Chop everything as finely as possible, put into a bowl and serve.

Guacamole
See recipes below.

Lime radish salad
1 bunch radishes
Juice of one lime
Salt

Chop radishes into quarters, add lime and salt to taste and serve.

Lemon cucumber salad
A cucumber
Juice of one lemon
Salt

Slice cucumber, add lemon and salt to taste and serve.

We ate this with carrot and celery. And yes, we also enjoyed some well and truly deep fried cooked to hell and back corn chips!